Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Night's Not Over....


Above: Karen Rogers, Candidate for Olympia City Council Position #4, and John Whalen, video producer for Thurston Community Television (TCTV). Whalen called TCTV to let the station know that Rogers was available for an interview.

by Janine Gates

Olympia City Council candidates held election night parties at local venues such as the Urban Onion, Oyster House, Procession of the Species and Rambling Jack's, but city council candidate Karen Rogers held her party at a private home in the Eastside neighborhood.

At 9:30 p.m., Thurston Community Television (TCTV) completed its coverage, and Karen Rogers, candidate for Olympia City Council Position #4, held a slim lead tonight with 4,662 votes to Karen Veldheer's 4,421. Although the race is too close to call, Rogers was asked how she was going to celebrate. Rogers, with her typical dead-pan humor, said, "I'm going to get a cat after Thanksgiving. I'm going to go visit my family in Florida. Then I'm going to go down to Animal Services."

Turning serious, she said, "I'm honored that the Olympia voters have put their trust in me - what I can promise is that I will continue to work as hard on the council as I have on the campaign and continue to listen."

The final city council race numbers for the evening in other races are:

Position #5:

Stephen Buxbaum 5,595
Jeff Kingsbury 4,049

Position #6:

Jeannine Dellwo Roe 4,649
Joan Machlis 4,566

Position #7:

Joe Hyer: 5,514
Tony Sermonti: 3,564


Above: Janine Gates takes a picture of Karen Rogers while she is talking with Thurston Community Television (TCTV).

No comments:

Post a Comment